2 The Magazine for Couples, Summer 2005
“Buy Me!” by David Leach
Here’s an excerpt from the story:
“Home Stager Debra Gould, president of Toronto-based Six Elements gives insider house fluffing tips:
• Boost ‘curb appeal’ with landscaping, potted plants, painting the porch or just mowing the lawn.
• Wonky cabinets, loose tiles, damaged caulking, dripping taps— fix them all! ‘These repairs make people feel the house has been well cared for,’ says Gould.
• Get rid of all your junk or rent a storage locker. Buyers who find clutter in the closets will think the house lacks space.
• Small touches count, so leave fresh flowers, quiet music and all the lights on before showings. ‘People shop with logic, but buy on emotion,’ explains Gould.
• Bring in a professional house fluffer if your impatient agent is recommending a price cut. ‘At minimum, house fluffing should make a $10,000 difference, so it’s worth it,’ she says.”